On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 10:39:32 -0800, Jack Unger wrote

For those of us who live in the hinterland...  Most rural people do not have
free fire departments.  Here, if you live outside the city limits and do not
pay the fire department fees, they WILL NOT come and put your house or shop
or fields or anything else out.

But to directly address that idea...  For the most part, RFD response is long
enough that whether you call them or not, the damage is usually the same.
They're pretty good at preventing the spread of a fire, not in rapid response
and saving a home that just caught fire.

I would have NOT wanted to be the person who put the guy on hold.  That would
haunt me until death or senility took away my mind.

Call on your VOIP phone because the house caught fire?   Why not just email
the fire department?  Gee, I'm sorry, but what on earth was he thinking?