I'm sure you've already checked all the numbers, but even with LMR900 at 5.8ghz there can be a great deal of loss:

LMR-600 going 100ft at 5.8ghz = 8db of loss
LMR-900 going 100ft at 5.8ghz = 6db of loss

We have switched some of our backhaul links to this same setup (radio inside, LMR-400 cable up the tower) but we don't ever go over 50ft... and that's still about 5db of loss. It's hard to give up those db, but sometimes well worth it. :)

Travis
Microserv

Scott Reed wrote:
Yep, that is where I want head.  Where do you get your cables?

Mario Pommier wrote:
Smart move!!!
When at all possible, we do that: active elements inside, inactive antenna outside. Design your grounding properly (NOT A MINOR ACHIEVEMENT!!!) and you're set: EVERYTHING goes to 1 common ground, coax lightning kits (outdoors) and in line lightning arrestors (indoors) go to different grounding blocks.
   Have a problem, check out the radio indoors.
We even do this with outdoor-rated radios, specially for backhaul AccessUnits and RemoteBridges. Cell companies do it this way because it's less prone to issues and they have the money to pay for it. In this case, the cost is worth it if you ask me. On WaterTanks we've set up an outdoor, temp controlled weatherproof box (engineered in house with DC-powered fans and battery backup at the base) to house the outdoor units. I should send you pictures.

Mario

Scott Reed wrote:
Who supplies pre-terminated (N connectors) cables in the 70 to 150' range using LMR 600, LMR900 and/or Heliax? Looking to move radios to the bottom of towers.