From: "Marlon K. Schafer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, March 19, 2007 12:19 AM
Subject: [WISP] cost per customer and new toys

OK, this aughta be fun....

What is your COST per customer?

We went thought some accounting stuff the other day and tried to figure a
few things out.

Cost of data circuits:
$2 to $3 per sub

Cost for bandwidth:
$1  to $2 per sub

Cost for aps:
$1 to $20 per sub

Office rent:
$1ish per sub

Labor:
$3 to $5 per sub

Gas:
$1.5 to $2 per sub

Insurance:
$.75 per sub

Customer acquisition costs (advertising, selling at a loss etc.)
$50 to $100 per sub (mostly one time in my case)

I'm sure I've left a lot out.  Right now we've run about a 15% profit
margin for the last three years.  That'll go higher with more customers as

we'll not need bigger data pipes etc. for at least 3x more customers than
today. We'll have to upgrade some of our backhauls and ap's but we're in
good shape for servers and all of that.

I also roll my servers out every 3 to 4 years.  Always lots of memory and
high end processors.  I've not done raid in quite a while though.

What to offer next.
We're working on off site backups.  But we need new servers with LOTs of
space.  Not sure I can justify thousands for a good machine with several
hundred gigs of storage just for a few $30 per month backup accounts.  I
have a server with a couple of 80 gig drives in it, I tried to backup my
email, pics and music and filled the drive and crashed the box :-).  I'm
also a bit worried about not having the server backed up.  No matter how
much we tell people NOT to use our box as their ONLY copy of critical
photos, docs etc. they will.

I'd also like to find a program that'll run on our web server and
authenticate against our radius server.  I want my customers to be able to

have something similar to myspace but though me instead of them.  No luck
finding a package for that yet though.

laters,
marlon

WISPCON 2007 - Feb 21-23, 2007 - New Orleans
http://www.wispcon.info/us/wispcon-ix/center.htm