  From: John Scrivner
  To: WISPA General List
  Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2007 1:35 PM
  Subject: Re: [WISPA] Using DECT phones to avoid interference issues.

  Do you have a link to the rules governing how this spectrum can be used,
  how it is licensed, who you have to pay what to use it, etc.? I would
  like to research this in more detail. Is this opportunity still
  available or is this spectrum now gone elsewhere? Is this what DECT is
  using? Did they pay the fees? I am trying to understand all the issues
  being discussed here and feel I am missing important facts.
  Thank you,
  Scriv

  Rich Comroe wrote:

  >Did you look at the UTAM URL?  The fee until recently was $20 per
device!!!!!!!!  A market killer if I've ever seen one, especially when the
manufacturing cost of a simple home phone is in that range!  We'll see if this
changes now that the UTAM prices have gone down.  My thoughts is that the
window of opportunity has long passed (there's no up front fee to continue
making products only for the 900, 2.4, & 5GHz UL bands that we wished they'd
stop using).  What exactly is a manufacturer's incentive to switch to 1.9GHz
where there's a stiff UTAM fee?

  >I used to work for a very, very, very large US manufacturer, and all UL
business phone development in 1.9GHz have long ago (years ago) been permenantly
cancelled to my best knowledge.

  >Rich

for why the last time a thread discussed the 1.9GHz UL band surfaced on this
list.  I doubt you'll ever see much product ever emerge for this band in the
United States.  There's a reason for this too ...
  >  >
  >  >
  >  >I've heard some discussion on this list regarding how "the FCC gave the
industry UL spectrum and they didn't use it."  With such a connection, wisps
must understand why this band has been underutilized here (as well as judging
the chances of new products emerging).
  >  >
  >  >Years ago the FCC took this band away from Pt-Pt microwave users.  They
authorized a group called UTAM to pay what was necessary to move these
microwave users to clear the band.  Apparently UTAM spent "whatever it took"
since it wasn't there money.  Manufacturers wanting to field UL product had to
pay UTAM what were known as "clearing fees".  Check out
http://www.utam.org/ClearingFees.html.  Prior to April 1 2005 the clearing fees
were enough to dissuade any manufacturer from building UL product for the
United States!  IMHO the UTAM fees doubled the cost of producing UL product.
Since April 1 2005 the fees drop to a mere 50 cents per radio, but a
manufacturer must still pay UTAM $50,000 up front.  With the lack of products,
UTAM has amassed a huge debt.
  >  >
  >  >The FCC groundrules for clearing the Pt-Pt users from the band were more
than enough to insure that this UL band would never be effectively utilized in
the United States.
  >  >
  >  >Just my opinion,
  >  >Rich
OK,
  >  >  but the features were very lacking.  The frequency range was 1880-1900
MHz
  >  >  This deployment was in Paris, France and was connected behind a PBX.
There
  >  >  were about 21 "base stations", each one capable of supporting many
  >  >  conversations.
  >  >
  >  >  The DECT system is interesting because it is the standard in Europe and
  >  >  people's home handsets could be registered on this system. All I had to
do
  >  >  was enter the code # into the management system.  We were afraid that
the
  >  >  handsets might begin disappearing due to the interoperability, but these
  >  >  handsets were so cheesy that the home models were much better.
  >  >
  >  >  The DECT system did handoff calls as the users walked between base
stations,
  >  >  which was pretty cool.
  >  >
  >  >  A year or so aqo, DECT was authorized here in the US, on slightly
different
  >  >  frequencies: 1920-1930 MHz. There was not any general hoopla at all
around
  >  >  this introduction.
  >  >
  >  >  DECT isn't GSM, but the two are made to be very compatible and in
Europe,