To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Saturday, March 31, 2007 10:23 AM
Subject: RE: [WISPA] McCaw losing money?

Ultimately, a business is built to maximize it's selling price to it's customer -- the difference between Clearwire and many of the people on this listserv is the definition of "product" and "customer"

For most people here (e.g., the small business owner of a profitable WISP / Wireless Network Operator), the "product" being sold is Broadband Internet Access, and the "customer" is the residential or commercial subscriber...

for Clearwire (or more specifically -- McCaw), the "product" being sold is "a WiMAX/4G Network" -- and the "customer" is a large RBOC/Cellco/Investment Bank/etc

So, with this understanding of the differences in the definition of "product" and "customer" for both types of entities, it's very easy to rationalize both types of behavior.

The small business owner main source of cash is its subscriber base

Clearwire's main source of cash is Venture Capital / Wall Street

-Charles