As Butch states (in general) each complete system needs to be individually certified however, the lab that I work with has advised that:

IF the vendor (or WISP) that obtains the original certification Grant chooses to make their complete system specifications public rather than asking the FCC to keep some of the system data confidential, then other WISPs could build EXACT DUPLICATES of the certified system without being required to run the duplicate system through the lab certification process again. The EXACT DUPLICATE will still need to have correct labeling on it saying, in effect, (I need to check to get the exact, legal FCC verbiage) "this system contains the same components that were already certified under FCC Grant XXXYYY". Even the software needs to be the same so that only the authorized channels, channel widths, modulation modes, etc. are selectable. The company building, labeling, and deploying the exact duplicate is responsible for the correct legal operation of the system. If the FCC comes to your door to inspect, the system better be EXACTLY THE SAME as the system that it claims to be a legal duplicate of.

In the real world, I think the only way building an EXACT DUPLICATE is going to be practical is if the original Grantee holder is willing to cooperate with the companies that want to build the duplicates. For example, I could see "Acme Wireless" certifying a system, deploying it and also offering it for sale as a certified system but I don't think they would welcome other WISPs just making EXACT KNOCKOFFS and deploying those without having to bear any certification costs. This doesn't mean there aren't a few organizations that might certify a complete system and then publish all the details so exact copies could be made by others, just that there may not be very many such organizations. Another possibility is for a small group of WISPs to get together and standardize on one common AP or CPE design, then select one trusted WISP to officially get the Grant but all of the other WISPs pay for an equal share of the certification costs.

If Butch (or anyone) has additions, corrections or questions about the above information, please post it/them and I'll go back to the lab that I'm working with and request further clarification.

jack