Airport radar gone out of control ?

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of wispa
Sent: Saturday, April 14, 2007 6:01 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: [WISPA] what does this?

Within a few minutes of each other, I got calls from opposite ends of my

network complaining about outages.   Really odd, I thought, as I was in
the
middle of checking out some  things.

The short of it is as follows:  Sometime yesterday, not exactly sure
what
time, two backbone links suddenly began going up and down, 5 sec up, 5
sec
down.   One is 10 miles long, runs due east west from the east end of
town
into the mountains.   The other is 10 miles south and somewhat west of
the
other one, and runs north-south, with the north end somewhat west of the

south end.

The only common factor?   Both were on 5805.    About 2 months ago, both
were
down suddenly, and I had to move both from 5745 to 5805, all frequencies
in
between were so "hot" I could not establish a link with a rssi of -72.
Again,
the links end are 10 miles apart at their closest ends and run about 170

degrees angle from each other.

Today, 5745 is clear and clean with no apparent issues as I have an AP
on it
carrying 20 customers over looking the only common area between the two
links, 5805 is buried, over a span of 30 miles.  The pattern was
obvious...
about 5 seconds of no data moving, 5 seconds fine, steady pattern going
on
and on and on.  About 50% ping loss, with the 1-ping-per-second showing
5
good, 5 missed, 5 good, 5 missed.

What could possibly be that strong that it can take down such widely
spread
apart links?   In both cases, there is considerable elevation change,
such
that "low" ends see nothing but dirt and sky (there's NOTHING but
mountains
and clear sky beyond my higher elevation sites in both cases) beyond
their
respective "other" ends, and that the far ends have considerable
downtilt and
their respective beam patterns do not intersect, but instead, point into
dirt.

Something has to be so strong that it takes down the links from OUTSIDE
of
the beam patterns of 26 db (or higher) grids.

WISPA Wireless List: [EMAIL PROTECTED]