Under the normal Part-15 rules, the only devices allowed to have a "non unique" connector are devices labeled for and sold only to "professional installers".

The problem is, there isn't really a good explanation of what a part-15 professional installer is.

What I've been told by the FCC is that the intent is that any device where it's easy to mix and match parts (remember that you could only use specifically certified antennas before 2005) was to only be sold to a pro installer. Literally, it was illegal for a vendor to sell us an ap without also including the cable and antenna for it.

To be a pro installer we're supposed to have been manufacturer trained on a specific piece of gear (I was trained on p-com and wmux gear in the bad ol' wpcs days). The reasoning was that it's possible to use a certified combination of radio, cable, and antenna, and STILL exceed the EIRP limits. So we're supposed to have been trained on the device so we'd not accidentally assemble and configure an illegal version of a legal kit.

The new rules specifically say that these rules do NOT apply to a device designed for a professional installer. If you're not sure that your device is for a pro installer, look in the manual. If it's got an n connector on it, it should also say that it's only available to professional installers.

That rule has been TOTALLY ignored by everyone. We are, as users of this gear day in and day out, assumed to be professional installers so we don't have to buy devices with only unique connectors or buy only in kits (like a Linksys dsl router etc.).

Again, I'd LOVE to see a real mix and match capability where we could use anyone's radio with anyone's amp and antenna. But they clearly aren't yet ready to go there.

Just to make sure I'm reading this correctly, I've asked for some time with the head of OET (the FCC folks that write these rules). I'll pass along what he says once I'm able to talk to him about it.

Hope that helps,
Marlon
(509) 982-2181
42846865 (icq)                                    WISP Operator since 1999!
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.odessaoffice.com/wireless
www.odessaoffice.com/marlon/cam

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lonnie Nunweiler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>