From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Dylan Oliver
Sent: Saturday, April 28, 2007 3:08 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] EarthLink studying muni Wi-Fi business

Speaking of limitations, I just read a scathing review of Madison's "MadCity
Broadband" muni Wi-Fi project. The system was built by Cell Net and uses
Cisco's mesh gear.

See here: *http://tinyurl.com/yrz7cb*

MadCity Broadband uses a wholesale model. One company, ResTech, signed up
2000 subscribers. All but 700 have cancelled. ResTech is pulling out,
leaving Merr.com as the sole resale partner.

*According to Galanter, Madison is a pioneer* in developing a citywide
broadband system and a proving ground for the equipment, manufactured by
Cisco Systems.

"It's all so new," she says. "Cisco is using our experience to continue to
improve the technology. And Madison's approach is unique - no two cities are
thinking about it in the same way."
I sure would hate to be a proving ground for Cisco!

Best,
--
Dylan Oliver