John, the reason I don't buy it, is as has been said...we're days from the
deadline, and we have nothing.

And, further, we don't know what's being worked on.   There's a whole LOT of
issues.   There's extraction.  There's picking out what's required.
There's  storage, there's VPN to the LEA,  the list just goes on and on and
on.   Nobody can build a single device or program that can be applied to
even the majority of networks.   Not even a single point passthrough device
that caches everyting (think solera) is going to work, if we have mutliple
gateways in physically diverse locations.    No solution is going to be
universal.   We all have such diverse ways of doing things that I'd say that
any single solution won't even apply to the majority.

There's the data format requirement, and the list goes on and on.   What
particular aspect is being worked on?   The part that converts data to what
they want?   What about the tools to get the right information?   What about
a handbook that explains what data is required by the babble that shows up
as acronyms or legalese?    What about LEA's VPN's?   What standard do they
follow?     Once you start down the road analyzing what you have to do after
looking at the requirements, the 'assurances' here, at least, leave more
questions than before.   Without knowing what WISPA's doing, or anyone else
is doing, we don't even know what parts won't work for us and we need to try
to synthesize in two weeks.

I have many hours of reading  everything I can find, starting with the rules
published by the FCC.   Much of what is being said on this list by WISPA
CALEA project people appears to conflict with what I read from the FCC
itself.    Once you start through the process they outline, you will FULLY
comply, or you will exit the business, and that "FULLY" comply requires a
lot of things that have been pooh-pooh'ed publicly here.

Now, not to pick a fight, which I don't want to do.   Nor to argue the
merits of ANY of this,  I consider myself reasonably bright and at least
somewhat capable of running a WISP... And yet I cannot, seriusly, cannot
figure out what I really have to do and not do.

Much of what's being discussed here and elsewhere is VERY confusing.    For
instance,  I keep reading that if you follow the industry standard, then you
only have to do what's in the standard.  But if you don't, then you have to
do everything they ask.   How the heck can the standard be acceptable if it
doesn't do everything they want?    If we must capture all the traffic, then
it must be done at the client end.   If we  can't, then we really ARE NOT
compliant.   What's the point in working on something that's obviously
deficient in the first place?

Mostly, a lot of us just understand in our guts, that they have all the
power, and absolutely NO hesitation in destroying us individually.
Washington DC DOES NOT CARE ABOUT INDIVIDUAL PROVIDERS.  Learn this, accept
it, it is the definitive truth.    Reassurances that "they're not out to get
us" is nothing more than the attitude of a few political types in DC that
have talked to WISPA people.   We won't be dealing with them.  Their
assurances are...  worth less than the ink required to print them out.
The only hesitation they have, is if they get painted badly in the evening
news.    And we'll never make the news.

The fact is, the people enforcing the rules are going to go by the letter.
The absolute letter, bent as far as possible in the direction they want it
bent.   And that won't be our favor.    Enforcement won't be impressed by
"but I was assured you won't put me out of business".    We're just a number
and name, and not even a face.   They'll do what government does... hand out
fines as agressively as they can justify.  And since none of us can
individually mount a defense of any kind, we ARE gone and dead.

Why WISPA did not say in first response "This CANNOT BE DONE, I have no
idea.   But you spoke for us and said you thought it ws a good idea.   You
killed us without any more consideration, apparently, than DC has for us.
I say this to the people who communicated / filed / responded to the FCC and
FBI.

Frankly, I suggest we collectively hire some legal counsel to find some way
of just stepping around it or a solid strategy for dealing with the fallout.
Some real legal eagle shark type stuff.  I suspect whether we do our utmost
or ignore it, we're mostly going to end up in the same shoes.