See inline comments

> Behalf Of Lonnie Nunweiler
>
> WISPA has "responsibilities" to the Vendor members?  Yikes.  Isn't
> WISPA responsible to the Members and Industry first?

[Mac says:]

We do have responsibilities to the paid vendors since their membership is a
major form of financial support that enables/empowers us as an organization
to accomplish the tasks we have before us. If we had no vendor members we
wouldn't have very much capital to work with. Vendor members are a very
important to us. I think that by treating our vendor members well we are
putting our general membership and the industry first. The By-Laws are in
place for a reason and that is to guide this organization, protect this
organization and ultimately put the wireless operator in the driver's seat.

> I've resisted joining as a Vendor because I disagree with the
> commercial nature of it all.  It is not the money, but rather the
> principle.  When WISPA was being formed, I contributed about $2,000 in
> direct cash and Server Licenses to induce others to pay up, yet I have
> never been a member, let alone a FOUNDING MEMBER as some can claim.

[Mac says:]

Lonnie - I remember how enthused you were when we first started organizing
WISPA. I don't understand what you mean by "the commercial nature of it
all." The only commercial part of WISPA is a paid vendor membership and I
guess the collection of dues from wireless operators. How else would we ever
collect enough revenue to do anything? I understand Love is free, but I
understand you will love in the dark without money.

> I got real discouraged to be throwing my weight behind the whole things
> and the VERY FIRST act of WISPA was to allow Charles to act as if it
> were his private list for marketing.  Why did they do that?  Because
> Charles gave them some freebies and support.

[Mac says:]

NO - that's not even close to right and I think you know that. I am sorry if
you got your feelings hurt, but if memory serves me - we all had a hand and
input for the first WINOG. I don't know about anyone else, but I was
thinking that this might be something for WISPA. A trade show put on by
WISPA in the future. It didn't take any of us very long to realize that it
was not an event that WISPA could do at the time seeing as how we didn't
even have members yet - -  although we did use it to get together and where
the first dues (ever) were collected. I - like you and several others
donated money way before there was even a due structure in place and way
before WINOG 1. I didn't expect anything out of it and the only thing I
wanted was to see WISPA get a start and once again - - what can you do
without money? NO MONEY - NO LAWYER - - NO LAWYER - - NO BY-LAWS - - NO BY
LAWS - - NO ORGANIZATION (non profit legal and all!)

I THINK YOU OUGHT TO BE A VENDOR MEMBER and I think you need to be
recognized as a vendor who stepped up to the plate in the EARLY days of
forming up this organization with no expectation of special privileges - -
just a good heart and concern for the industry!

> WISPA has to decide if it is an Organization that is for Vendors to
> market to members or is it an Organization for the Industry to
> represent the needs of the Industry to Government, and other
> Regulatory bodies.

 [Mac says:]

That is not an issue! We aren't a money making company and I know you know
this......

Will you support WISPA 100% in all of its financial dealings? I don't think
you or anyone else on this list has pockets that deep. Do you think that we
have no need of staff, a paid lobbyist, electricity, a building of our own
in DC, Should we never have a paid President whose whole job is to lead this
organization thus may stand a chance in leading the WHOLE INDUSTRY??? Trying
to run WISPA (much less accomplish something) without money would be like
you trying to run your business with no money! No Money - No business!

> This period before elections is a good time have those discussions and
> see where all the proposed board members sit on the various issues.

[Mac says:]

I agree 100% - - you see where I am standing eh? Lol

> I for one would support a strict "no self promotion policy" in ANY
> email.  Keep it to PAID ads (if you need them at all) and limit the
> number of those that can be distributed.  A Vendor should be happy to
> support the Industry and should not expect a return or special
> privilege.

[Mac says:]

I guess this will be one of those things decided by the current board. I
have no trouble with email signatures as long as there are no direct
advertisements attached to them. I think mine is OK, but then some of you
may not due to the fact it has my VoIP companies web site attached. See
below sig:

Mac Dearman
Maximum Access, LLC.
Rayville, La.
www.inetsouth.com
www.radioresponse.org (Katrina relief)
www.mac-tel.us         (VoIP sales)
318.728.8600
318.728.9600

(I ain't through - read on)

> Lest people jump on me for self promotion, I'll point out that I
> always try and point people to our Support Forums.  This list should
> NOT become a free support arm for ANY Vendor too lazy or incompetent
> to set up their own support lines.  This list should be for issues
> that affect the Industry.  Your troubles with routing or bridging or
> particular brand of equipment, although important to you at the time,
> have very little to do with the Industry in general. There are other
> lists for that and also Vendors should have their own solutions to
> help you.

[Mac says:]

 I am probably looser on list than I ought to be, but that's to loosen
things up from time to time. I don't even mind (or think that it's a bad
thing) that other WISPs ask for advice or help on list. I can't count how
many "off list" replies I have made to these requests. IMHO that's what
peers are for and what we do - - help one another. I agree there is a limit
to these posts and they should be taken off list, but how will you establish
this help from a group of peers where you are a paid member? Too much BS is
too much, but once again I think all things in moderation.

I cant think of a vendor/manufacturer that doesn't support his goods. If
there is one out there - he won't last long!

> So, this is what my day looks like.  Now I'll get back to work.  We're
> building 4 more towers this year and I get to run the Bobcat today.
> It'll be fun after all.
>
> Lonnie

[Mac says:]

I too am late for a date not to mention we have two towers awaiting gear!!
Be careful on that Bobcat - - it will bruise your gizzard!

You are a good guy Lonnie - and you sale a great product. Won't you consider
becoming a vendor member? You have already donated more than any paid vendor
on this list and did it a long time ago! Not only do we want you, but we
need you and those like you here!!

Sincerely,
Mac Dearman