Doug Ratcliffe wrote:

Motherboards and power supplies are tested independent of a case - if it's
in a case, they test it with the all covers removed.  Section 15.32(a).

We may still have an issue, however.  Routerboards are not typical "personal
computers" due to lack of keyboard, video, etc.  So Routerboards and similar
SBCs may never make it as a personal computer.  But VIA boards, and any
NanoITX with video, keyboard, mouse DOES meet the definition of a personal
computer.

I don't think this is an insurmountable issue. As long as the tests are done like it was a Class B "personal computer", you shouldn't have any problems at all. If you read the appropriate sections of Part 15, what they really mean by personal computer seems to be a computing device you use at your house (or can be used at the house) and has boards which can be added or removed.

That is: Motherboard, case and power supply are tested (together or seperate, i'm not sure). This takes care of the certification for the Routerboard. This should be done my Mikrotik or the board manufacturer.

Then the radio is tested and certified both as a Peripheral and as a Part 15 intentional radiator. This should be done by the radio manufacturer - and needs to include a reasonable range of antennas.

That would solve the problem we are talking about. The problem is getting the vendors to actually go the additional mile to make this happen.

-forrest