fyi
marlon

----- Original Message ----- From: "jeremy-ca" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: "Blake M" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Bill Winkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, June 27, 2007 7:22 AM
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower ACCIDENT

First of all, ANY tower that is installed by burying a section should be
suspect UNLESS you are absolutely sure that the legs have plenty of
drainage.

Drilling a small hole in the legs a few inches above ground can give you an
idea if there is standing water. If the water is clear then it is probably
safe; if rusty then walk away.

If its a dry hole at that level then snake some cotton string down the hole.
If it comes back wet and rusty then Id also suggest not climbing.

New tower construction should always use a base plate and pier pin if the
only support is guy wires. If house bracketed then a minimum of 2 brackets
is required. The base should be a standard base plate but with one hole at
each corner and secured to the concrete with 3/4"  J bolts.

An existing tower that was installed without drainage MAY have its life
extended by drilling those small holes I mentioned. Then with ~ 3/16" tubing inserted down to the bottom regularly pump out any water. There are ways to
derust the legs and seal against further rust but its an iffy proposition
when you cant tell the extent of the damage.

Carl
KM1H

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Winkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>