Chipping in here,
To be fair to MT:
AFAIK It's harder/more expensive to design 48V-input power supplies (the
chips on most boards require some mix of 5.0/3.3/2.5V or other rails) than
lower voltages.
Of course 48V is desirable by users, because of lower cable loss, enabling
longer runs. I had this debate with the MT people some time back, in favour
of 48V.
It seems there are far more 12-30V chipsets, and easier-to-implemet designs,
than at 48V.
Also, telco environments always have 48V (36-72 a common spec)
But commercial pressures (people only buy high volumes at low price points)
probably guided the "28V max non-isolated" decision.

Also, relevant point:
Some boards out ther have **isolated** input PSUs.  The RB532 and 112 for
example.
However, most boards don't.  Well isolation costs money (read: custom-wound
transformer, other components) but non-isolated designs are cheaper.
Well that depends on your deployments - some environments cope with
non-isolated roof/tower-top devices fine - and some don't.  Important to
consider that.

I hope that comment is of help -

Regards

Stephen Patrick