Mac,
I pulled some notes from a thread on the StarOS forums, you might want to go read the whole thing if this sounds interesting:

(gleaned from "Solar Power" thread on StarOS forum started 6/18/2006 by Ick)
Should power at least 8 WAR2.

Iota DLS-15 12v 15A battery charger (larger available)   $116
http://store.solar-electric.com/ioen12vo15am.html

optional Iota IQ4 plugin smart charger $29 (not so important since there will be a continuous load on the battery)

PowerStream 12v to 24v converter PST-DU700-24 $140 retail price
http://www.powerstream.com/
I was just thinking about powering a few radios, still trying to decide between a 24V battery or 12V plus the extra converter.
The Iota plugs into AC and keeps the battery charged.

Oh, could you post some pictures of your tower on top of the grain elevator sometime? Especially the base of the tower, just curious on the specifics. (do the guys go all the way to the ground?)
-John

PS - I thought we grew a lot of corn in Michigan, but I see that Iowa does 8X as much. I think we have 15 ethanol plants built or in the permit process, I hear those will consume the entire state's corn crop.