While I would free comfortable building my own servers (the OS setup is custom). I buy hardware from Dell. Its solid server equipment and very easy to work with.

I would recommend checking into buying servers prebuilt. While building your own seems to be cheaper. there are numerous added benefits features that are found by buying prebuilt.

I would suggest looking at getting a vendor account with dell, you can gain some discounts. The design of Dells rackmount hardware is terrific. Almost Hot Swap everything, tool-less (quick to replace something if you need to do it as down time), smart systems to handle cooling, remote management cards, and clear upgrade paths. Do not buy 1U imo, its expensive and you only gain 1U and an unupgradeable server. Plan your systems to last 3-5 years. Look at using some virtualization software, in the long run it will be helpful, there are numerous free versions.

If you buy rack mount hardware make sure to look at the mounting rails, Dell's rails are the best I have seen.

I would suggest buying a square hole rack. they are the most flexible for mounting methods.

Remember to look at how you are going to run cables, you will have more than you expect.

Don't forget room for backup power / batteries.

Find a generator that can be powered by dual fuel (propane / Diesel)

If you plan on building a data center to support sell space to business, look at cages. and a method for 24 hour access.

Depending on how many servers you are planning on buying, and if you buy from a vendor. See what you can get for free from them.

There is a good chapter in Oreilly's "Network Warrior" about power and cooling planning.

As for the OS:
1) centralize the following
  - Logging (syslog)
  - Authentication (AAA)
  - Security (tripwire)
2) Look at putting config files in revision control (will make it easy to reverse changes)
3) Do not make Backup systems an afterthought
4) Design it with two networks (management and external)
5) Document everything, I would suggest having a Ticketing system in place for any change that gets made, nothing gets changed without a Ticket, even if you are the only person that makes changes. 6) Trending, anything that can be monitored, do it. Troubleshooting is much easier if you know what has changed.

Debian is by far my favorite choice of distros. FreeBSD/OpenBSD is great for firewalls with pf and carp for redundancy. Ubuntu LTS server for anything I that I need more up to date software. Fedora has Red Hat's Directory Server (with an excellent management interface)

Again, Documentation is going to be your best friend....

Hope that helps,
Ryan