I realize ideas like this aren't a one-size fits all.  Geography,
topography, and so forth sometimes makes this uneconomical.

I will say, though, that usually independent ISPs (non-Wisps) that
have gone down this route, whether for server aggregation, bandwidth
aggregation, DSL aggregation, helpdesk aggregation, or whatever
usually are happy with the results as it often makes a marginal
business case viable.

There are other advantages as well to working aggressively with each
other and peering with each other.  Most of the ones above are
cost-saving measures, which I'm not always a fan off--independent ISPs
sometimes are too fanatacal about cutting costs and not fanatacal
enough about growth...

Still, there are other advantages.  As some/most of you know (and
already do this sort of thing), your most profitable and best
businesses are usually more established businesses with multiple
locations.  A lot of you are limited by aggressively targetting these
businesses because you have a limited geographical area...and most of
these business prefer having a single vendor for this sort of stuff.
The more you make deals with each other in terms of being able to go
between the networks, the more you can do this sort of thing.

In aggregate, Independent ISPs have quite an impressive footprint, and
can offer an "on-net" (as a whole) offering to larger business clients
that is rivals many of the national guys.

-Clint Ricker
Kentnis Technologies

On 9/11/07, Matt Liotta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Forrest W. Christian wrote:
> > Clint Ricker wrote:
> >> Not to be overly provocative here, but why are you paying $60/meg?
> > I'd be more than happy to pay less.   Please let me know where I can buy
> > a DS3 or OC3 delivered somewhere within my footprint or at most only a
> > couple of radio hops away for less than the $50-75 I'm paying now (right
> > now I have two full DS3's - one is around $50/meg and the other is
> > around $75/meg).
> >
> > If you're domain is correctly registered, you're ~50 miles from
> > Atlanta.   I'm ~400-600  miles from Salt Lake City, Seattle, or  Denver
> > - take your pick.   I'm *lucky* to get it at $50/meg.   If I was paying
> > loop, it would be more.
> >
> Montana is tough and you probably know you already have the best deal
> going from a traditional approach. I don't know if a non-traditional
> approach would work either, but here is an idea anyway.
>
> You are correct that doing radio hops to the closest major market is a
> good way to go, but in your case the mileage is just too high. How far
> away are you from Microserve, which is in Idaho. I believe they serve
> Boise, which probably has cheaper bandwidth. Is it feasible to backhaul
> your network to theirs? In areas with mountains like yours you can go a
> long way with 5.8/6Ghz.
>
> -Matt
>
> ** Join us at the WISPA Reception at 6:30 PM on October the 16th 2007 at
> ISPCON **
> ** ISPCON Fall 2007 - October 16-18 - San Jose, CA   www.ispcon.com **
> ** THE INTERNET INDUSTRY EVENT **
> ** FREE Exhibits and Events Pass available until August 31 **
> ** Use Customer Code WSEMF7 when you register online at
> http://www.ispcon.com/register.php **

**