At 10:24 PM 9/14/2007, George Rogato wrote:

Optimized Link State Routing protocol (OLSR) is a routing protocol that is optimised for mobile ad-hoc networks, sometimes called wireless mesh networks. It is a proactive link-state routing protocol that floods a full topology table to all nodes in the network which then compute optimal forwarding paths locally

First I've never used OLSR so I know little about it.

However the key words here is "mobile" and "ad-hoc". In the 900 "mesh" application I'm dreaming of, similar to muni-wifi, the nodes aren't mobile, nor are they "ad-hoc". The nodes are fixed to poles and buildings, and the nodes are infrastructure just like we always used. Also I don't plan on using any single radio systems requiring locustworld, etc.

Lets say a node can see two upstream nodes and two downstream nodes. And then lets say one of the upstream nodes fails. Not much thought needs to be given as to which is the most Optimal route to take. i.e. The only other one. Now for a zillion laptops floating around all over the place forming an adhoc network, with nodes coming and going in a dynamic fashion, yeah I'm sure a specialized wireless mesh protocol is necessary such as locustworld, et al.. I believe somewhere around 30 or more mesh wireless (mobile) mesh protocols have been developed over the years each with it's own pros and cons. I'm not thinking about anything mobile unless it is the users laptop roaming around his house and yard. In that case, I don't think I need a "mesh" protocol at all, or anything other than common interior routing gateway protocols. Am I right? I wonder what Strix uses in their multi-radio systems? <eg>

Allen

**
** THE INTERNET INDUSTRY EVENT **
http://www.ispcon.com/register.php **