Forbes,

Thank you for having the awareness and taking the time to write your elected representatives. Your action sets an excellent example. If 10% of the WISP community would just follow your example, I think we would see a positive change for the better in our industry and for the "constituents" that we serve - the public.

jack

P.S. - It was good to see you at ISPCON.

Forbes Mercy wrote:
After reading a story this morning on a industry related blog I wrote a letter
to my Republican Congressman.  I sent the same to my two Democrat Senators but
just took out the reference to being a Republican. :)  Anyway I'm putting it
here just so you can remember that only we can keep the pressure up on our
representatives on issues that affect us and this is as good of a subject as
any to keep beating the drum:

"A year ago I wrote you when the AT&T purchase was being approved stating we
had to stay vigilant against the carriers blocking each other in what we refer to as Net
Neutrality.  You wrote back, and I thank you for that, stating there is no real proof of
providers blocking any traffic.  This despite my proof at the time that Clearwire was
already blocking any Voice over IP service (Internet Phone) other then theirs.

I felt your stand was naïve because trusting the Telephone companies is like
trusting the prisoners to watch the prison.  We're both good Republicans who
want to let companies grow as they may to achieve profitability but the
exclusionary tactics encouraging monopolistic behavior is alive as always in
this industry.  Here is a link showing how the wholly unregulated cable
industry continues to set the standard of censorship and gradual demise of a
free and open Internet:

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2007/10/comcast_is_bloc.html?cid=nl_IWK_daily

It is my hope you will pay heed to my warning that open enterprise does not
include making Internet access different by companies who make no public claims
in their terms and conditions to their customers.  This constitutes fraud as
people buy Internet based on the belief that their subscription entitles them
to a free and open network as it was built.

I again greatly encourage you to consider Net Neutrality as a priority, or at
the minimum, special written notification to their customers of blocked
content, so the public can make an educated choice.  These companies advertise
they are an equal choice when they are not.

Thank you,
Forbes Mercy"

**
** THE INTERNET INDUSTRY EVENT **
http://www.ispcon.com/register.php **

FCC License # PG-12-25133
Serving the Broadband Wireless Industry Since 1993
True Vendor-Neutral Wireless Consulting-Training-Troubleshooting
FCC Part 15 Certification for Manufacturers and Service Providers

**