To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Friday, November 30, 2007 11:49 AM
Subject: RE: [WISPA] CALEA

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007, Larry Yunker wrote:

If I am not mistaken, when you are being asked to provide information in a legal matter in which you are not a named-party in the legal action, you are being placed in the position of a witness.

Exactly. This is where the "duty" that I mentioned in my response to Frank comes from. If we have information regarding illegal behaviour, we should provide that information to law enforcement. I'm gonna stop now with this line of thinking...it leads down a long dark road. :-)

So, it is NOT uncommon or unwise for a witness to seek legal counsel before disclosing information under a subpoena. I don't know if a witness' lawyer

As I said to Frank, my first recommendation to those WISPs who called for assistance was to talk to their attorney to let them handle the legal part of it. I am just being hired to handle the technical parts and am not qualified to provide legal advice.

--
Butch Evans
573-276-2879

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.