On Sun, January 6, 2008 3:44 pm, Ugo Bellavance wrote:

>      I will probably have to design an e-mail (and other components)
> infrastructure for a small ISP soon (WISP).

How small is small? That will be the single biggest issue in deciding just
what you need. Honestly, all the multiply-redundant backend stuff and
virtual-machine-migration and hyper-scalable backends sound seriously
overkill for most of what I'd consider "small."

That aside, I'd strongly suggest against dovecot for your mail service. It
doesn't seem to scale all that well, in my (admittedly limited)
experience. Cyrus and Courier both can be set up to use MySQL for most of
the backend stuff; MySQL replication and maybe a front-end load-balancer
of some sort should get you more redundancy than you'll ever need (unless
you're dealing with really strict SLAs, et cetera).

David Smith
MVN.net