David E. Smith wrote:
How small is small? That will be the single biggest issue in deciding just
what you need. Honestly, all the multiply-redundant backend stuff and
virtual-machine-migration and hyper-scalable backends sound seriously
overkill for most of what I'd consider "small."
Agreed.... We use a single Pentium 4 machine, plus a NFS server on the backend to provide service to something like 7000 mailboxes in our environment. FreeBSD/Qmail/Spamassassin/etc.

For values of small much less than what we are running, I would really be outsourcing all of this elsewhere.... Mail is a pain, and I'd really prefer to outsource it.. But with the going rate for email hosting being such that I could hire a person full time to just run the mail server, we keep it in house...

-forrest