I was reading this, and I just had to add my 2 cents (like anyone
cares.........). If you are mounting on vent pipes, please use EXTREME
caution. On all of the newer homes, these pipes are PVC (The older cast
pipes are not a problem). The section of pipe that sticks out is usually
not supported very well. I have mounted on the vent pipe myself, so I
can't say I don't do it, but I will say that if you can grab the vent
pipe and pull it up and down and it appears to very loose, either do not
mount anything on it, OR, go up into the attic, crawl space etc. and add
a brace.

Almost 90% of the time, the pipe itself is only held in place by the
glued joint where it connects to the internal plumbing. It obviously can
not move sideways because it is held in place by the various holes it
passes through coming up the inside walls and roof. I know of a
situation where the CPE was mounted on the vent pipe (not me) and strong
winds twisted the PVC, causing it to snap off inside the home. The
result was a nasty bill from the plumber, as they had to cut away part
of the wall on 2 floors to repair it.

I guess the moral of the story is to just take an extra 5 minutes on
every vent pipe install and add a brace to the pipe under the roof every
time you use one for an install. It will save you lots of headaches in
the long run.

P.S. I only use vent pipes as a last resort for a mounting location. :-)