Personal portable devices would also include laptops.  HAS to include
laptops.

I think that a compromise would be to start out with the band as an outdoor
or at least fixed antenna only solution.  Out door so that we could use it
for public safety or mobile devices, but only ones that would normally be
attached to a vehicle or some such thing.  And fixed antennas so that we
could use the band to deliver broadband to homes/businesses.  It would,
however, be done with an antenna that is mounted either to or in the
building.

These two steps would keep the number of devices using the band to a much
smaller level.

On an interesting note, the broadcasters are fighting the whitespaces issue
very hard, but as they know they are likely to loose the fight I'm told that
they do support the above position.  This time we as WISPs actually line up
more closely with big media than we do with NAF or MAP.  sigh, politics,
sigh  grin

I've not had personal contact with the NAB yet.  I've worked with Carl at
the 802.22 committee.  Unfortunately the 802.22 committee is very heavy into
things like geolocation for all devices, broadcaster beacons that can be
used to shut down transmitters when they are in the area with their mics
etc.  Our stance has always been that sensing is the only real way to do
this.  Drawing circles on the map will leave out far too many environmental
factors.  I'm also totally against the geolocation idea because it'll
require more electronics, has NO benefit (distance can be learned just fine
by timing pulses) and we'll need TWO antennas for every dang'd installation!
Foowy on that.

It's a tough issue for all around, especially without Powell in the
chairmanship.  Martin is not proving to be a friend of the WISP in many
ways.  With all of the pressure he's under, maybe it'll help though.

Scriv, Rick H. and I are probably the most up to speed on a lot of this due
to our involvement with a Whitespaces list that included Cisco, MS, Intel,
802.22 etc. going back at least 2 years.  Not much has been done on that
list since the Report and Order that freed up the Whitespaces for unlicensed
use though.  I think our stand against personal portable devices has turned
folks like MS, Intel and such against our stance.  That's to be expected
though, so I'm not worried about it.

We have to fight for what WE know to be the best options for our markets,
just like they do.  Our biggest problem is that we're not back there talking
the FCC and we've not done much with recent NPRMs.  I'd hate for anyone at
the FCC to mistake that for disinterest vs. time crunch issues.

laters,
marlon