This does not surprise me that they ran in to this. The 802.11b/g spec is
designed as a carrier sense collision avoidance network where all users are
within range of each other so they can be polite and not transmit over top
of another. When you have all sorts of users and multiple access points
things get confusing to the protocol very easily. What further causes
problems is that the access points cause the interference to each other or
cause them to hold off to wait for other traffic on the same channel, mainly
due to their high gain antennas on both locations and being mounted in a
higher location. On the EarthLink Philly project we were able to overcome
some of these problems with clutter. The three story row houses and dense
trees made life difficult to design a network, but at the same time
contained the signal to smaller areas for each access point, thus minimizing
some of the traits displayed in this article. I've seen too many office  or
college campus situations where they don't like the throughput or coverage
of their wireless network. They throw up more access points thinking that
will solve the problem. It rarely does unless they figure out how to better
manage the signal patterns of each access point. While 802.11 b/g gives you
a choice to mix and match equipment, proprietary protocols usually handle
this collision problem much better. If you will never load up a network with
this type of traffic, you can get away with it. If you need to squeak out
every bit that you can from the available spectrum (and all WISPs will when
video and voice become the norm on Ethernet), some sort of managed on air
protocol will work out the best. Right now with bursty internet usage
patterns, things don't seem to be that bad. When the internet patterns
change to a more constant bandwidth demand, different technologies will fair
better than others. When that happens I wonder about pricing models that
rely on over subscription..........

Thank You,
Brian Webster