It has not.

We have been using SNMP proactive monitoring for years. It takes more custom
programming to make the SNMP data as realtime as one needs it to be viewed.
And that is a much more complicated issue, as it requires consideration of a
whole management platform and how that data is recovered in realtime in
relation to realtime changes made to the link.  Sometimes these changes are
syncronized to the 4-5 seconds that that change was made. Just locating a
specific radio in a list of 300-500 radio links in a remote
management/monitoring platform is a challenge.  It can take 10 minutes jsut
to identify you are looking at the right radio. Plus if you pull data in
realtime, there is also a significant bandwdith use.

It is jsut plain straight forward to have a tool built into the radio that
one is already logged into and working on, that does....

Click Button, test runs. 10 seconds pass.
Returns results, "This is the performance of the link".
And have that data be detailed and complete.

Packetloss, error rate, throughput, side of link the packets were lost on,
etc.

Its that simple.

Even if I bought into your SNMP arguement, I'd argue the SNMP monitoring
solution is NOT what it needs to be today. Don;t say HPOpen voew nobody can
afford it, and don;t say MRTG and RDDTOOL, as thats months of custom
programming to get it wher eit needs to be, and what we use now.

But I will say, there is a huge oppoortunity for consultants and programmers
to help write these platforms for WISPs.

For example... Dude, is a cool Mikrotik Monitoring tool. It would be really
easy to add a "test" button to a configured radio that would launch a test
tool on the remote Mikrotik radio, and report back the results.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband