From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of David E. Smith
Sent: Monday, February 25, 2008 11:12 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Uh-Oh, " they are ready to discipline Internet service
providers"

> I see this as a good thing.  We don't really care what our users do with
the
> bandwidth they buy from us as long as it's legal.  Bandwidth hungry
applications are good for our model as the more they need the more they
buy.
> I don't see that as a bad thing for our bottom line!

Speak for yourself.

(By the way, I am speaking for myself, not for my boss, my employer, WISPA
itself for whom I do occasional work, or anyone else. This is always the
case, but I feel especially compelled to mention it here.)

The day a legislature or court orders me to stop shaping p2p traffic, I'll
dust off my resume, because the network will melt shortly thereafter,
beyond my ability to repair.

The inexpensive last-mile gear many smaller wireless operators use don't
respond well to p2p traffic. Towers with fifty customers can be brought to
their knees by ONE customer with an encrypted BitTorrent client, or
Limewire, or other p2p software.

(Every time this subject comes up, there's a bunch of "just build out your
network to handle the load durrrr" punters. As that isn't always feasible,
given the limitations of small company budgets and the technology
available within said budgets, let's just assume I don't have millions of
dollars handy to do so.)

My sole concern is keeping my network running as well as possible, given
the limits of the budget and technology at my disposal. I don't care what
you're downloading, and if I had a choice I wouldn't care about how you're
downloading it. I don't even care whether it's for "legal" use. (And let's
not kid ourselves on that point.)

Unfortunately, as near as I can tell, the folks making these edicts aren't
making the distinction between social and technical reasons for traffic
shaping.

David Smith

----