Patrick,

I don' t know if this will help, but it is possible to give your
Verizon account a nickname. Then messages would be sent to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] Possibly that would have different rules for
filtering out spam?   (just speculating, I don't know)

My problem was the opposite, I was getting quite a few spam text
messages last year. It has declined, but I still get a few. It was
annoying, at 15 cents per message.  And Verizon wasn't too helpful
when I complained, they wanted me to call and ask for a credit.  My
planned solution was to disable the numeric version of incoming text
messages, and switch things over to the nickname. But they dropped
off to one every two weeks, so I'm just ignoring them.

Oh, do the providers like SiteUpTime have a special agreement worked
out with the cellcos?  I get alerts from them for servers down,
perhaps there would be some means of routing traffic thru them.
-John