On Thu, 1 May 2008, Travis Johnson wrote:

>I have several school districts looking for a way to monitor their
>internet traffic. They want to see where each IP address is going,
>etc. They do NOT need filtering or any bandwidth management or
>anything like that... just a reporting system. It can't be a proxy
>system or anything that will require them to change all the client
>settings.

I know of several school districts using ClarkConnect software.  It
is a Linux based device that has some capabilities like this.  I
have another customer using Smoothwall (http://smoothwall.net/) as
well.  In fact, one such customer is using the Mikrotik router to
force connections to transparently proxy behind the smoothwall box.
I haven't seen the smoothwall interface, so I can't speak for it
specifically, but my understanding is that what they wanted was a
way to track websites that were being used.

*Butch Evans                    *Professional Network Consultation *
*Network Engineering            *MikroTik RouterOS                 *
*573-276-2879                   *ImageStream                       *
*http://www.butchevans.com/     *StarOS and MORE                   *
*Mikrotik Certified Consultant  *Wired or Wireless Networks        *