The problem lies in the common belief that one can draft a contract which
imposes a penalty for breach of contract.

While courts often allow some measure of liquidated damages they generally
will not protect a drafting party by enforcing a penalty clause.  So, if you
were challenged by a customer when trying to enforce an early termination
fee of $1000.00 on a 2 year term internet service agreement, you would have
to show that you would likely loose $1000.00 in expenses and ascertainable
future revenues.

For example: If you charge $50.00 per month for internet, you could probably
show $1000.00 in potential loss over the two year term but remember that the
amount of loss diminishes the further into that term that you get.

BUT... Now look at your example of a $10,000 termination fee.  No court
would enforce a $10,000 termination fee for $50/month internet because it
would clearly be a penalty.  Worst case if you paid $1000.00 for the CPE,
$500 for the install, and lost $1200 in future revenues, you would still
only have lost $2700.00 total.  So the court would cap you at $2700.00 worth
of liquidated damages.

I know that everyone would like to think that there is an absolute freedom
to put anything you want into a contract, but it's simply not true.  Courts
reform contracts when the contracts try to impose penalties.  The policy
reason for doing disallowing penalties is to promote freedom of contract.
In that sometimes it's better for competition, the economy, and the
marketplace for parties to be able to BREACH their contractual agreements.
Therefore we want to allow breaches to occur when it would economically make
sense to leave the contract or break its terms.  Let's face it... if you
could ALWAYS write a big penalty into every contract, NO ONE would ever be
able to willingly break a contract.

- Larry