From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of David E. Smith
Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2008 1:07 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Any thoughts on a decent cache server

Patrick Nix Jr. wrote:
> In another attempt to light the bandwidth load we are going to setup a
> cache server.  Any thoughts or suggestions on which one to use?

I know this is the popular answer to everything on this list, but
Mikrotik RouterOS has a decent, and dead-simple to use, proxy/cache
package. The tricky part is probably finding the "right" place in your
network to put it, and configuring firewall rules (so that Web traffic
gets sent to the proxy/cache server), and even those aren't too
difficult.

At least the "old" one was pretty good - my experience with it was
probably four years ago, but at the time it worked well. Between then
and now, I believe Mikrotik has written their own (previously it was
just the Squid open-source package, with their pretty interface on top).

If you're comfortable with Linux, you can do it yourself, but the time
you'll save is easily worth the low one-time cost of a RouterOS software

license.

Whatever you use, make sure you know how to handle "exceptions." Some
Web sites just don't play well with being proxied. (One of our customers

is a dealer for a major auto maker, and the proxy/cache system basically

killed their whole business, as the stuff in Detroit just flat refused
to function.) You'll want an easy way to test this sort of thing at your

desktop, to try to reproduce weird customer calls - and there will be
some doozies.

David Smith
MVN.net

--------