Faisal Imtiaz wrote:
> To answer the original question that was asked.
>
> Where to start:
>  Start with Arin's web site, fill out the form, send it in, and feel free to
> talk to them on the phone.
>  They may come across rather 'stiff' via email communication, howerver on
> the phone they are very helpful.

Yep. I have dealt with them via e-mail and it's been pleasant so far but
I hear that working with them on the phone is often better.
> IPv4 vs. IPv6....  Well IPv4 is the defacto working standard, IPv6 is
> something we all will have to move towards a bit further down the road. I
> belive today if you ask of IPv4 they are also willing to allocate you IPv6
> space.
> It does not hurt to have the allocation.

It certainly doesn't.
> For an ISP to get IP Address space allocated they have to meet one of two
> Requirements. Either show justification for a /22 or larger, or show
> intent/proof for being multi-homed running BGP.

Yep. This is well documented at ARIN. You'll need to be multihomed
within 30 days to get a number. I am not sure if multihomed means just
multiple POP or multiple carriers (which could be in the same POP)

> So while you are in this process with ARIN you may also want to get your ASN
> number. Better do it now while they are still issuing Single byte word
> address (I may not be using the right lingo here) , otherwise you may ...may
> run into equipment compatibility issues.

You are correct. Get an Autonomous System number now. (ASN is redundant
btw :)

--
Charles Wyble (818) 280 - 7059
http://charlesnw.blogspot.com