On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 09:21:46AM -0800, D. Ryan Spott wrote:
> I used to live in a small town in Northern California.
>
> Every few months, one of the 4 translators they had running on the
> ridgetop would get crystal-clear while the other 3 would be fuzzy as hell.
>
> Finally I asked the locals about it. It seems you are not a local in
> that town unless you have been there at least 20+ years. The locals told
> me that the "good translator" is used for whatever sporting season it was!

For the most part, you're not a local around here unless you have either lived
through the great depression here, or you were raised by locals.

In Maine, there are a few low power tv stations that appear to be religious
channel repeaters. None are near me, so I can't confirm.

> So Baseball was on Channel X so it got the good translator that season,
> then when football started on channel Y it would get the good translator.
>
> I love small towns!
>
> ryan
>
> Chuck McCown wrote:
> > Perhaps the question was a little more general.
> > A TV translator is nothing more than a repeater.
> > For example channel 6 would be received, "translated" to channel 55 and
> > retransmitted.
> >
> > Normally they were VHF in and UHF out.  Low power.  2 to 200 watts.
> >
> > Out west, where we have lots of mountain ranges and valleys, this is the
> > way
> > TV got piped around.
> > Some special tax districts were formed to finance the operations of
> > translator installations.  Many small towns would have a building on a
> > nearby hilltop with a half dozen translators inside.  In some cases
> > translators were daisy chained 3 or 4 deep.
> >
> > In other areas, groups of TV broadcasters got together and financed the
> > translators.
> >
> > I would suspect that even if a translator operator isn't going to change to
> > HDTV, they will most likely feed the input of their translator with a
> > signal
> > derived from and HDTV signal.  That will produce much better quality than
> > they ever had before.

/*
Jason Philbrook   |   Midcoast Internet Solutions - Wireless and DSL
    KB1IOJ        |   Broadband Internet Access, Dialup, and Hosting
 http://f64.nu/   |   for Midcoast Maine    http://www.midcoast.com/
*/