On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 11:31:41AM -0600, Mike Hammett wrote:
> I will not purchase another AP unless it is able to deliver 40 mbit of
> throughput, end of story.  Fortunately for me, they're out there...
> Mikrotik can (though uses a lot of spectrum).  Deliberant is working on it.
> I believe the new Canopy is close.
>
> Where has the innovation in the last few years gone?</rant>

I too favor higher bandwidth per AP. I will keep purchasing APs though
that don't meet that, I as I have customers needing to get hooked up
yesterday regardless of whether some arbitrary performance requirement
is met.

Bandwidth of the AP does affect my purchasing decisions. I have recently
deployed 3 Alvarion VL900 AUs and a bunch of SUs primarily based on
their bandwidth capability and sensitivity. Trango doesn't have the
range or bandwidth. Canopy has comparable range, but lesser bandwidth.
It was basically a choice between Alvarion and Canopy, as Trango's
promised competing MM product never made it to market. As others have
noted, spectrum efficiency is also important.

It's not entirely about speed. Reliability and features have come along
way in the last few years. I am doing so many links where simplistic
wifi gear would be useless or foolhardy. I need the software adjustments
offered by Mikrotik, Alvarion, Trango that you don't or didn't get with
cheapo gear. For example, ubnt can't do proper bridging with non-wep
encryption, Alvarion and Trango can. ubnt can't save static routes,
mikrotik can, and it doesnt' matter on Alvr/Trango. ubnt doesn't have a
noise floor adjustment, something Alvarion has had since the beginning
of the BA-II line, and Trango has always had too, and MT has had for
quite a while. Not trying to bash ubnt, but they seem to be the better
of the cheapo gear despite their shortcomings. These low priced products
have improved enough to be compared at least. A few years ago, commodity
based products were not usually comparable and were suited to tinkerers
or small projects.

--
/*
Jason Philbrook   |   Midcoast Internet Solutions - Wireless and DSL