A friend in my Linux user group is in charge of setting up the IT in a
building that's about about a mile or so away, and he wants to bridge
them via wireless rather than pay a monthly dedicated circuit between
them. The number of end users there will be about 50 or so.

He asked me what I would recommend, but I was only familiar with
802.11a/b/n gear that ran about $5K on each side and only got, on
average, 30-35 Mbps. I told him that there might be better solutions out
there that used a different frequency or more channels, as bandwidth is
more important to him at this point rather than any particular frequency
or brand. I'm hoping to find him something in the 50-100 Mbps range for
something reasonable.

Any ideas?  He wants to make sure that his solution is fairly rugged.
It's southern CA (a little inland), so it's not too bad there, but I'm
sure he wants to make sure that he gets a good 5-10 years on his investment.