The Cable companies do CAD/GIS drawings prior to rebuilds and
construction so the subcontractors know what goes where and to obtain
pole access and make ready work. I'm sure these drawings are not
publicly accessible, and they'd probably not want to share them.

Some phone companies have similar maps for their facilities, but I
wouldn't expect all of them too, especially with older out of date
facilities. They generally like facilities information kept confidential
as proprietary information when working with state government here.

With cable, it's extra tough to estimate coverage without detailed
street level coverage maps. A big market of ours is (besides satellite
TV choosers), places where cable doesn't go. If someone lives on a long
road, driveway or sparesely populated street, cable is not cost
effective to deliver there, and the construction charges can easily cost
a property owner 5 digit figures. Of course, wireless has coverage gaps
as well, but technical software like radio mobile can estimate that to
some extent.

On Thu, Feb 05, 2009 at 10:02:41AM -0600, Mike Hammett wrote:
> How can we get what the coverage area is of the telcos, cablecos, and
> cell phones?  I'm not necessarily referring to homes passed, but on a
> CO, headend, or tower level.  I know I've seen references to GIS data
> for COs.  Cell phone towers should be publically accessible somewhere
> in ULS.
>
> With the latest update from Brian, WISPs cover 743,456 square miles.
> The entire US is 3,794,066.  That's 20%.  If you exclude Alaska and
> Hawaii which are not covered in Brian's map and make up 674,198 square
> miles, that's 3,119,868.  That puts us at 24% of the continental US.
>
> I think it would go a long way to say that WISPs provide more
> broadband coverage than x company provides services period, including
> areas they cannot provide broadband.
>

> -----
> Mike Hammett
> Intelligent Computing Solutions
> http://www.ics-il.com

/*
Jason Philbrook   |   Midcoast Internet Solutions - Wireless and DSL
    KB1IOJ        |   Broadband Internet Access, Dialup, and Hosting
 http://f64.nu/   |   for Midcoast Maine    http://www.midcoast.com/
*/