Brian,
Like Jack says, this is nothing like a whitespaces device.
You can download the first draft of the specifications at the FCC, I
think it is about 120 pages.  The devices are supposed to have a
sensing radio to detect existing tv channels, in addition to detecting
wireless microphones, and then shift to another open channel. And it
is supposed to go over the net to query a database (that doesn't exist
yet) as to what channels are open in a given area.

Also, you ask about what antennas are available. Speculation was that
you would buy a radio and it would be certified with a specific
antenna. The certification requirements will be much stricter than the
unlicensed gear we are familiar with. And I would suspect the tv
people will be looking over your shoulder, making sure you follow the
letter of the law.

Also, I believe the channels available in a given area are still
somewhat in flux. Many stations were going to move around on the
transition date, now that is delayed. I don't think the database Brian
queried to build his google.kml has the "final" data.
-John