++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
<insert witty tagline here>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Matt Liotta" <mlio...@r337.com>
To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 19, 2009 7:53 PM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] 2nd Look @ 3.65 ?

>I think you may be missing a couple of variables in the multivariable
> equation that determines the actual throughput a client can achieve in
> a given time slice. When comparing access systems one must understand
> the differences between the capabilities provided by the systems and
> their result on these variables. You harp on throughput when the
> reality is that ISPs don't sell throughput; they sell capacity. The

Hmmm...  Where are we getting lost?   Why can't we just take what is said at
face value, for as simple as it was said?

I don't really know about the other users on the list, but I, for one, DO
understand the concepts of how to share a fixed data stream and why the
802.11 mac is so poorly suited for ISP use.

Mike Hammett and I both are watching huge amounts of investment being poured
into WIMAX equipment that's designed to meet last year's bandwidth model and
asking the same question.    When are the WIMAX folks going to realize that
we do not want to spread 18 mbit across 100 customers, we want to spread
36mbit across 100 customers.

This is because the "consumption per customer" continues to climb, and the
oversubscription levels we USED to use for planning are headed to be far
inadequate.    It USED to be that the 6mbit from an 802.11b access point was
enough during the peak use hours to keep 27 people happy - because nothing
they did was latency and bandwidth sensitive.   So the page took 1 second
longer, nobody cared.    Now, 12 of those 27 people want to watch a 1 to
3mbit HDTV  stream, while the others do stuff.

And no, putting up an AP to serve 100 people with 18 mbit isn't the answer.
We need that AP to work just as gracefully as it does, but instead of using
7 mhz, it uses 21, and will be adequate for the day when 25% of our clients
watch TV over IP, talk on the phone, AND play games and surf...

While the rest let the email run 24/7 and listen to streaming music.

So, while you're arguing semantics here, both Mike and I are looking at this
saying... "Why invest heavily in equipment that is barely adequate for
present?"    My whole solar powered sites do not cost $2000 and that
includes the batteries and solar panels and radios, too.   Currently, we're
still looking at putting in nothing but 5 ghz micropops because they can
serve 10-20 people with adequate bandwidth for all, even in the apparent
future.

> throughput of any given flow is variable based on a variety variables
> including RTT and congestion. Most applications that end users care
> about are TCP based, which means TCP's congestion algorithm comes into
> play most often. One important aspect of a TCP flow is slow start,
> which causes flows initially to have throughput less than the capacity
> of the transport layer. Considering that much of real world traffic
> never has time to get up to full speed, the capacity is rarely full
> utilized. However, when multiple flows operate on the same access
> layer at the same time all slow starting you are able get more
> efficient use of your capacity. Unfortunately, most end users simply
> do not have enough flows operating at the same time lasting long
> enough to fully utilize all of their capacity. The unused capacity is
> what allows for oversubscription. In other words, by sharing the
> capacity across a large enough number of end users you can get more
> efficient utilization of the overall available capacity.
>
> Now the above may be nothing new to most of us, but how easily we
> forget that we sell capacity and leverage our client's inability to
> use all of that capacity because their throughput rarely achieves what
> is available capacity wise. This means we need access systems that
> very efficiently multiplex flows from an arbitrary number of end
> users. It is not about getting more throughput than the overall
> capacity of the system; it is about efficiently delivery the maximum
> available throughput when the end user actually needs it.
>
> Your basic 802.11 wireless system does not efficiently share capacity
> across multiple stations, which results in stranded capacity. Compare
> this to a WiMAX system that is extremely efficient at sharing capacity
> across all connected stations. No system can allow the aggregate
> throughput of all stations to exceed the total capacity of the system,
> which would violate the law of physics.

Obviously.   But that's EXACTLY what two people just said on this list.
That they do.   That's what I'm responding to.