From: wireless-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:wireless-boun...@wispa.org] On
Behalf Of mlio...@r337.com
Sent: Friday, April 10, 2009 8:13 AM
To: scubac...@gmail.com; WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] 10 GigE

> All the hard core routing and switching experts I know laugh when
> someone suggests Cisco.
>
> Cisco is like the WalMart of networking equipment.  If you need
> something, chances are that they have something there that will mostly

> do what it is that you need.  But if you need something for some
> specialized need, then chances are you need to go to Juniper, Foundry,

> Nortel, etc.

Of course if you had sent the above to the NANOG list they would be
laughing at you. Cisco and Juniper alone are the reining champs of the
high-end routing world. Foundry and Nortel are simply not even
considered.
Right now, the Cisco CRS-1 is considered the best equipment available.

Regardless, talking about super high-end routers when Mike is only
looking for a few 10 GigE ports is silly. A Cisco 6500/7600 with
sup720-3bxl along with your 10 GigE card of choice is typically what is
deployed today.
There is a newer option from Cisco using one of the ASR series routers.
Those will cost you roughly $25k to get started in any reasonable
configuration. Whereas the sup720-3bxl option will likely cost you only
$25k well equiped with a variety of ports. I would guess a sup720-3bxl
platform with 48 10/100/1000 ports, 48 SFP ports, and 4 10 GigE ports
would run about $30k used.

It is worth noting that the sup720-3bxl has enough TCAM to support up to
1 million routes and has a backplane that can support 720Gbps.

-Matt

--------