From: wireless-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:wireless-boun...@wispa.org] On Behalf
Of Matt Larsen - Lists
Sent: Friday, April 10, 2009 12:22 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] High Throughput Licensed vs. Unlicensed

Jeff, I think you have made a fine point.   I realized about a year ago
that with the cost of licensed links coming down, there wasn't a lot of
reason to look at the high-end UL radios anymore.    When a StarOS or MT
setup will deliver 30-50meg of FD throughput at a very low cost, the
next logical step is to go with a 100MB licensed link.    I have a
couple of my consulting clients that have been dumping their Moto BH
links in favor of StarOS because it is cheaper and quite a bit faster,
but  we have also found a few situations where we need more speed, and
going licensed just makes way more sense than spending that much money
on a UL link.

I do see Travis's point about the longer range shots, however.   I've
got a 35, 45 and 65 mile shots with StarOS and they work just fine but
only put out about 18-25meg at those distances.   That's enough for me,
but I can see where you would want more capacity and I suppose that
within that narrow definition, a PTP600 would be better than a licensed
link.

Matt Larsen
vistabeam.com