Let me muddy the waters a bit more with an interesting thread:

http://ubnt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8556&highlight=fcc

"WTH" seems to be pretty knowledgeable and quotes chapter and verse to back himself up.  His arguments are largely based on the "professional installation" rules in part-15.  One other interesting claim in the thread:

------
Quote:
So If I'm to interpret the FCC site right, then the XR2 can only be used with a 3 dBi or less gain antenna because that's what the FCC tested with?
The FCC R&R allow the XR2 to be used with any antenna as long as you do not exceed the ERIP for the particular installion you install it for.

Quote:
If so, not trying to being mean or anything, the XR2 seems kind of useless to me.
If you want to use it with a 15 dBi omni antenna, you are legally allowed to. Likewise with any directional antenna as permitted by the installation.

Quote:
Also, I noticed that in the FCC descriptions, it doesn't usually say what the limit for the antenna is, it just says what they used in their test.
They use a 3Bi antenna if it is not necessary for the grantee to provide an included antenna. If the grantee is required to provide the antenna, that it the antenna gain the unit is certified for.

Quote:
I don't understand why they don't explain why they use a certain gain of antenna. It all seems so arbitrary to me, like they just pick one at random. If anyone could help me understand better, I'd greatly appreciate it.
See above.

----

Thoughts?

Are the UBNT certifications written in a different manner from the Mikrotiks, so we don't have to be a "chosen one" to install "certified" systems?