Oops, sorry for the blank reply, I hit the wrong keys.

On 5/21/2009 8:00 AM, Matt wrote:
> Supposedly you cannot throttle p2p and now there trying to say you
> cannot impose download caps as well.

Personally, I can't EVEN imagine that such a law could stand up to basic
reasoning.

But think about it.  If such a law was attempted, where would they draw
the line?  Telling any ISP that they can't use bandwidth management
techniques is about like telling Comcast that they must lift bandwidth
limits on cable service.  Since cable has an ENORMOUS amount of
potential bandwidth, the same problem occurs; a few abusive users suck
the life out of the entire network because everyone gets a gig of bandwidth.

I tell my customers that "unlimited" doesn't exist and never has.  They
try to argue that "their other service was unlimited".  When it is
revealed that said "other service" had a fraction of the bandwidth that
I'm now delivering to them, it becomes apparent that the previous
service was in fact severely limited by its inherent slow speed.
Dial-up was of course the first so called "unlimited" service, yet was
in fact the most severely limited.

The way I deal with it is to show them my service/consumption matrix.
For example, if I deliver 4meg symmetrical and they sign up for
residential service, they are expected to have roughly the same duty
cycle as the rest of the residential group, within reason.  If they sign
up for residential and throttle it to 100% 24/7, that's not residential
usage; at the end of the month they'll find that their speed has been
reduced to about what they'd get from typical DSL which in turn keeps
such a customer's monthly throughput within my guidelines for
residential service.  This way I keep abusers from abusing.  And even in
the very few cases I've seen it happen, the customer is more than happy
to continue on like that.  Conversely, if their usage falls back to the
roughly 5% duty cycle normally seen on residential customers, they'll
find that their speed went back to 4 meg.

I give them one or the other, but not both.  My explanation has always
been well understood.  "Unlimited" doesn't exist.  Unless of course I'm
talking to the 95% of people with "common sense"!

<cackle>

Rk