Have the charging unit connected to deep cycle batteries, install one
of Forrests SiteMonitors, or a Mikrotik that can sense input voltage,
then monitor that via SNMP.  You can get the PoE injectors and control
them with the SiteMonitor as well.  I'm just writing a web interface
to talk SNMP to Forrests SiteMonitors so that I don't have to teach
everyone how to do an snmpset from the command line.

-Kevin