Ouch. Ouch. Ouch.

I see a potential conflict of interest issue here. An employee of a large telecom company could be a volunteer who reviews applications received from WISPs and rejects them. As long as the reviewer wasn't "involved" in the large telecom company's application and the WISP applications that they rejected weren't in the same or nearby coverage areas as the large telecom company's applications then all is OK? I think NOT.

The BTOP/BIP protections against anti-competitive behavior seem far too weak. Maybe my prejudices are showing here but all along I've felt that the government should have planned to do its own application review work instead of delegating this task to "volunteers". I see this "volunteer" process as being a wide-open door for corruption.

jack

David E. Smith wrote:
Charles Wu wrote:

Hi David,

While I applaud your efforts in being involved with the broadband stimulus, it is my understanding that MVN.net is/was applying for stimulus funds for Round 1 -- maybe I'm missing something, but I can't figure out how you'd be able to over-come the conflict of interest clauses?

If we're applying, the boss never told me about it.

Also, it is, according to the little PowerPoint presentation they made
reviewers watch, permissible to work for a company that's applying for a
grant, and also to be a grant reviewer. You can't be personally involved
in the grant application, of course, and you're expected to
conflict-of-interest yourself out of anything that's even close to your
current or proposed coverage area.

David Smith
MVN.net

Jack Unger - President, Ask-Wi.Com, Inc.
Author - "Deploying License-Free Wireless WANs"
Serving the Broadband Wireless Industry Since 1993
www.ask-wi.com  818-227-4220  jun...@ask-wi.com