For those that have not yet read it, the relevent site to read is....

http://www.openinternet.gov/read-speech.html

We need to realize and seperate two things...

1) that the intent of NetNeutrality expressed at this site, is an
idealalistic view, to keep the Internet open and free, which is hard to
combat based on the "ideals", and we should recognize that the goal of an
open Internet is not specifically what we are fighting.
2) The reality that idealistic views dont translate to how the Internet
Industry really works. And the site's proposed methodology to attempt
preservation of an open network, infact may be harmful to consumers and
delivery of most common Internet services from competitive Access providers.
What we need to fight are mechanisms and ideas that harm access providers,
or that prioritize content provider's needs over that of access providers.

There is an important thing to realize. One of NetNeutrality's biggest
advocates is now I think Chief of Staff. (Bruce somebody). NetNeutrality
will be directly addressed in the new FCC, we can count on that. More so
than in past commissions.

Over the next 3 months I believe WISPA will need to get actively engaged in
Netneutrality lobbying. It will need to be a combined effort between
legislative and FCC committees.
The Legislative committee will need to fight bills being plannedd to be
introducted to congress, and FCC committee will need to fight for WISP
rights in soon to come FCC rulemaking.
It is my belief that government policy makers are timming their efforts so
legislation and FCC rules will come to effect togeather, as legislation is
pointing to the FCC to make rules.
We can start to lobby legislators now, while bills are government working
groups. And possibly there could  be public hearings, where we might be able
to request participation in them?
For FCC, we most likely would need to wait for the Notice of PRoposed Rule
making. Allthough ideally, its technically possible to lobby for proposed
rules to never get to rule making stage.
(although I dont think its likely for that to occur).

We are going to need to decide whether we want to fight the core concept all
togeather, or fight for details and wording that make the idealisitic views
realistic in a way not to harm ISP.
I believe we will likely have a better chance of winning our view, if we all
togeather fight netneutrality in its entirely, jsut because we'd ahve cable
TV and RBOCs endorsement in addition to our WISP view.  But the risk there
is that we do not protect ourselve from predator practices of monopoly like
providers, and we risk loosing altogeather, if consumers gain more support
than providers do. The risk is that protecting the majority of consumers
(cable and RBOC subscribers with 80%+ market share) has greater benefit than
protecting the few vulnerable providers (less than 20% market share by small
ISPs and WISPs).

We need to remind the government that the "open Internet" originally was a
network paid for by the government. In Today's Internet, providers are
required to pay for building access for consumers Internet access.  Its a
beautiful thing to have a consolidated Internet deliverd by teh combination
efforts of all providers. What we want to prevent is segregation of the
Internet, where providers are forced to make two networks, their "Internet
network", and then their "private network", where they would invest more
heavily in their own private networks for ROI reasons, and because policy
took away the viabilty of fair ROI for them.

Let me pose a hypothetical situation... What would occur if Comcast,
Timewarner, and RBOCs announced tommorrow, that they would no longer offer
Internet Access as of Dec 2010, and planned to cancel all peers to the
Internet, but would create a peer between each other, and announced their
hosting solutions (for a price) which allowed some content provider the
option to access their private networks. Would they legally be allowed not
to offer Internet access, and go 100% private? And if it were legal, would
they keep their market share, considering togeather they owned 90% of the
eyeballs and last mile connections to consumer's homes, many of which were
the single only source of connection?  I'd argue they'd keep 99% of their
customer base, and instead users that had choice of provider would subscribe
to two services, the Public Internet provider, and the Private network
provider, because there would be benefit to buying access to both.  Either
that, or private network providers would create a "gateway to teh Internet
service" that was an add-on to their existing privat network service. Those
that wanted access to the Internet would pay additional for the gateway
service, and eventually the gateway Internet service would perform so much
worse than to hosts on the private direct network, so most Hosts would start
to migrate to hosting platforms on the private network. I believe it is very
possible that "unbundling" could occur at some point to "increase"
consumer's costs. Bundling was a technique to win market share, unbundling
become a way to increase profits, once they own the market.  My point here
is that small providers will all be better off with all on one Internet,
with terms that are acceptable to all parties, so they keep it that way.

NetNeutrality is not only about Network Management. Its also about freedom
to be the type of provider we want to be. Policy makers should not favor
content providers to control what the Internet evolves to. And providers
should not be forced to do something beyond the core concepts of the
Internet. Policy to force Providers to become TV providers is just plain
wrong. And forcing strict Netnetrality laws will force providers to only
build networks that can handle consumer demand whcih will eventually become
TV services, if we are forced to allow it.

We need to seperate "Internet Access" from "Advanced Broadband", which in my
mind are two totally different topics.
Rules that might be acceptable for "advanced wired broadband" may be totally
wrong for core "Internet Access", and vice versa. Focing the two to be one
and the same, is wrong, because all providers and networks are not the same.

And by all means any NetNetrality rule passed should be a bi-directional
rule. If all access provider are forced to deliver all content, all content
providers should be forced to interconnect with all access providers, if
requested.

We could simply take the approach of.... "stop regulation, stay our of our
business", but if we can come up with good ideas, it may be more favorable
to state what rules we think could work.
But most importantly state what rules will not, and why.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband