I really would prefer the government do little except legislate and
execute that legislation.

I think a portion of the newly available UHF frequencies be allocated
to the public domain similar to the existing space available for
unlicensed usage.

The technologies I would embrace foremost would be those technologies
which adapt, and spread their signal over the entire allocation.
Cognitive, yes, and an adaptive spread spectrum software defined
radio of some sort.  There are technologies on the horizon which can
meet these things.  Frequencies allowing NLOS and OTH propagation
would further the goal of ubiquitous broadband, WITHOUT billions in handouts.

Mike