I believe in that instance the CPE does a "dhcp relay" or sorts. In my
experiences Alvarion equipment doesn't do dhcp relay. It simply bridges the
wireless interface straight to the Ethernet interface. There are some
filters that can be enabled between the two, but very little is done to
separate them. All DHCP requests (that I've seen) from the Alvarion VL and
B-series radios come directly from the client MAC address when the client
requests DHCP.

What we did was enable DHCP servers on each tower router. This allows each
tower to have it's own DHCP pool and prevents DHCP packets from traveling
across the entire backbone when it's not really necessary. From there we can
view/manage each DHCP pool for the clients that come off of a specific
tower. Makes things much easier. We did look into PPPoE, however the
requirements on the client side would cause more and longer support calls.
Allowing customers to purchase whatever cheap router they desire, plug it
into our radio and get an address greatly reduces the overhead in all areas.
Since the MAC address of whatever is plugged into the Ethernet port of the
Alvarion radio is available via SNMP, it's quite easy to figure out who has
what IP address.

I do have plans to do some additional logging of things through SNMP traps
with the Alvarion gear (log when MAC addresses change on Ethernet client
etc.) but I haven't had time to mangle with that yet. Maybe even a Nagios
alert when it happens. Great, now I'm rambling...

On 10/8/09 9:26 PM, "John Vogel" <jvo...@vogent.net> wrote:

> I have no idea how the Alvarion equipment handles bridging, but when I
> have needed to bridge the CPE and also give the client an address via
> DHCP, I have done it with a Mikrotik DHCP server, inputting the MAC of
> the radio, but specifying "use src mac address". That lets the client
> plug whatever they want in to the ethernet port I give them out of the
> bridge radio and get the address I have assigned to them via DHCP. You
> do have to be sure there are no rogue DHCP servers on the network.
>
> There may well be limited circumstances that this would work. I have
> done it with Senao (CB3), Deliberant, Tranzeo, and UBNT bridges. The
> primary reason I use it is for when the static IP I have entered into
> the client router (Linksys, Belkin etc.) lose their config and go to
> factory defaults. Lets me get the customer back online without a truck
> roll, or spending 20 minutes talking them through the configuration of
> the router.
>
> My preference is to use a routing CPE, and hand out NATed IPs to the
> customer from there.
>
> John
>
> Cameron Kilton wrote:
>> We are looking into a DHCP delivery method that doesn't require the use
>> of Mac Addresses to enter. We are using all Alvarion VL equipment (5.x &
>> 900) the problem is:
>>
>> We want Customer to plug in device and get a DHCP address, easy right.
>> Okay hard part, without the use of Mac addresses how can we tell which
>> customers are what and log this into a database. Is there a way to
>> control this via the radio?
>>
>> We don't want to use PPPoE so that option is out, we currently provide
>> Static IP numbers for everybody but would like to get away from this in
>> certain (cheaper) markets.
>>
>> Come on guys, hit me with your best ideas on this one. Were at a wall.
>>

>> Thank You,
>> Cameron

>> ---
>> WISPA Wants You! Join today!