From: wireless-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:wireless-boun...@wispa.org] On
Behalf Of Marlon K. Schafer
Sent: Friday, October 16, 2009 8:45 AM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] New install driving me crazy....

Is that a bigger or smaller antenna size than what you have now?

If you moved up by 10' and increased your signal levels, what 1000% or
so,
I'd REALLY say that this is looking like a multipath issue.

Often with multipath I've seen the signals hold well but performance
suck.
It'll sometimes kill the signal though.

I had one install that has some power lines in the way.  Fought
intermittent
outages etc. for over a year.  His signal was OK, but not great.
Finally
something changes a bit and his signal dropped too low.

Hmmm, bad radio.  So I pulled his radio out and put in a brand new one,
still crappy signal.

Double hmmmmm

I put the old radio back in, left it off the mount and moved it around
see what would happen.  (I always leave 6 to 10' of cable on the mount
just
for things like this.)

Triple hmmmmm

Move the radio to the west 6' and DOWN 2' and he's got great signal,
faster
speeds than ever and is happy as a clam.  Now one of my biggest PITA
customers just never calls anymore.  It was a very amazing
transformation to
his service.

Again, there were some powerlines *close* to the path but not in it.
Things
actually looked pretty good to me.  But not to the radio.

Your symptoms look like multipath to me.  We don't see it's effect very
often, the systems handle it quite well today.  But when it hits it can
hit
hard.

laters,
marlon