On Wed, 2009-11-11 at 12:00 -0800, Joe Miller wrote:
> Is there a way to have MikroTik do nothing else but this?

Simple answer is yes.  There are several ways to do this, actually.  I
am working on a new QOS implementation that will handle this in a very
unique way.  The new implementation will be very nice AND more or less
automated.  Keep in mind that this implementation is not complete, but
some of the features I am working on would look like this:

1. Create a set of priority queues (HTB style) using a 3 tier tree.
2. Set prioritization for "normal" protocols (http, dns, voip, etc.).
3. Watch the individual streams and, when you encounter "abnormal"
behavior for a particular stream, move it's priority to a lower level.
For example, streaming video would fit this category after a certain
period of time/bandwidth usage, as would torrents and other P2P
applications.

All queues would have access to the full pipe, but priority enforcement
would cause the "less desirable" traffic to be throttled back when the
"normal" traffic wanted access.

What I am trying to automate is protocol based prioritization AND allow
the router to determine when a particular behavior is going to
potentially cause issues.  Some of this can be done manually.  For
example, if you have a slow link, you manually log into your router and
look at torch.  In torch, you see a customer that has 150 active
connections.  You know that that customer is either doing some type of
P2P OR has a virus.  What my implementation is looking to do is automate
it so that those "known" patterns are automatically detected and handled
appropriately.  Of course, what is "appropriate" for one network may not
be so for another.  Because of that, I am looking at methods to make it
easier from a management perspective.

SO, if you wanted to (for example) always set Hulu (easily identified)
to a lower priority, that is easy to do.  If, however, you wanted to do
the same with NetFlix, we have to build a "smarter" mechanism to detect
that.  The advantage to my approach (once it is done), is that things
like NetFlix will be AUTOMATICALLY identified and handled according to
the network administrator's wishes.

Is that the answer you wanted?  LOL.

* Butch Evans                   * Professional Network Consultation*
* http://www.butchevans.com/    * Network Engineering              *
* http://www.wispa.org/         * Wired or Wireless Networks       *
* http://blog.butchevans.com/   * ImageStream, Mikrotik and MORE!  *