OK, strange stuff today.

Had a customer that's been complaining about intermittent connection issues.
The other day I went out there and moved him from g mode to b mode.
Adjusted the power levels and such and things ran much better.  He's getting
4 megs by 4 megs pretty consistently.

He called again, a few days later and he's having trouble again.

I finally had time to get back there today.  Hooked up my computer and ran
all the tests I normally do.  No problems at all.  Hooked up the Linksys
(and his computers) and bang, down it goes.

Disconnected his laptop and it starts working again.  Hook his up, down the
link goes.  Here's the strange part, I could always ping the public IP on
the radio, and so could a person outside of my network.  So the RF part was
working fine, but we still couldn't get traffic through the radio.

Eventually I figured out that with him disconnected and me wired to the
Linksys I could consistently duplicate the outage by opening MySpace.  Or
some Fox News sites.

I upgraded the firmware on both the radio and the router, same problem
existed.

I ended up turning the radio into a bridge and BAM, off everything went.
And the customer INSTANTLY noticed that things ran faster too.

For years I avoided running radios as routers because "You'll never put as
good of a router into a radio as I can put behind it."  sigh  Looks like I
was right about that, again.  grin

So, if you are seeing strange, unexplainable things at some customers try
bridging instead of routing on your cpe devices.

laters,
marlon